Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Windows 10 Data DeDuplication after Anniversary update

This could be one of my last posts for this year.

One post out of the SharePoint world, but closely related. I'm using Windows 10 on my laptop (with 32 GB of RAM) where my virtual test machines (SharePoint 2013 and 2016) are running. Pretty usual environment for every SharePoint enthusiast.  And most of you know the problem with the speed (performance) when 3 VM's are running on a laptop. That's why I bought 2 additional SSD's (120 GB each) and put them in my laptop. So my OS is running on a SSD and I have one SSD (120 GB) and one HDD (1 TB) for SharePoint VM's playground, but this space, on the SSD drive is insufficient.

Most of you already know about Data DeDuplication really good feature which allows you to store more data than usually you can. But I' not going to explain here what is DeDulication and how it works, if you are interested you can check in google.

I'm very happy with this feature/technology even if it is not released for home usage. Officially it available for MS server products, but there is a way to install/activate it on your local Windows 10.

One day my machine needs to install some updates and I was shocked afterwards because my SSD drive, where the DeDuplication was enabled, was not accessible anymore. OK I was accept the fact that I'll lose the data on the disk and had to format it. But definitely I need this feature and start searching for a solution, unfortunately several days without success, tried a lot of suggestions, but none of them was working, pretty sad.

Fortunately I post a question to MSDN forum and with a lot of reading could find a solution. You just need to download these files from here (not working any more) and install them on your machine. then you will be able to enable DeDuplication on a drive which you want. My machine had installed Windows 10 Pro version 1607 OS build 14393.222.

So try if you want Data DeDulication feature on your Windows 10, let me know if it works for you or not and share if you think it could be helpful for others.

Enjoy the holidays, wish you all the best to you and your family. 
Hope to see you soon in the next 2017 year!

No comments:

Post a Comment